Friday, October 01, 2010

Our Beloved Flat File story

Our beloved flat file story
Since many of you asked about this beautiful flat file
I thought I'd share a cool story about it.
Manolo has been designing furniture for many, many years. It is his passion.
He doesn't make these pieces himself, but has a couple of carpenters that turn his designs into a reality.
In 2001 we built our first home from scratch, you can see photos of it here.
Manolo custom designed all the furniture and woodwork (doors, floors, cabinets, etc...) including the flat file for his home office. We bought the beautiful label holder drawer pulls for it at a Pottery Barn store during a trip to Texas.
A year later we sold the house because we were moving back to the US.
But that's a whole other story!
A young married couple bought the house with all the furniture included.
While we were living in California Manolo would occasionally remember his flat file with melancholy and would tell me that that was the only piece of furniture he missed having at home. I actually missed it too, half of the drawers were always filled with my watercolor paper and supplies.
To make a very long story short...we came back to Mexico a year and a half later to build our second home right next door to Casa Uno (photos here)!
Out of the blue one day, after living in Casa Dos for a couple of months the guy that had bought Casa Uno knocked on the door and asked to speak to Manolo. He had come to ask him if he would please take the flat file back because his wife hated the fact that she didn't know what to keep in the awkwardly shallow drawers and had asked him to get rid of the big old thing!!! We just couldn't believe it! He had knocked on our door to give us the flat file back for free because they hated it!
The only piece of furniture Manolo had regretted selling :)
East facade
We've sold three houses after that. La Casa Azul is our fifth
but we'll always keep the flat file...it was just meant to be with us.
It's living in my studio temporarily until Manolo finishes his own studio.
It's the room you see in the left hand lower corner of the photo
with the pretty square window.
Forgive my awful writing skills, I'm much better at expressing myself visually
but I thought you'd enjoy this story :)

71 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

what a great story! i only wish your neighbor had come knocking on my door ;) i love that piece and i can see why manolo had regretted selling it. thanks for sharing geninne!

10/01/2010 10:30 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

(first : which awful writing skills ? are you nut ?!!)
then ... thank you so much for sharing the awesome story of this much beloved & unique piece of furniture ! Yes, it was meant to stay with you.
have a most wonderful weekend, my friend. Take care oxox

10/01/2010 10:31 AM  
Blogger Lisa Ridgely said...

That is such a wonderful story! What a beautiful piece of furniture it is, too...I can't believe the couple that returned it didn't realize how fortunate they were to have it. I'm glad it is back home with you, where it obviously belongs! I love this picture of your home, too!

10/01/2010 10:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Love this story! I've wondered, though, and forgive me if this has already been answered or is something you can't really answer: why do you move so often? All of the houses are beautiful, I would never want to leave any of them.

10/01/2010 10:41 AM  
Blogger holly aka golly said...

Clearly the flat files missed you too! Just let me know when Manolo is ready to expand his flat file business! I'll be first in line to place my order!

10/01/2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger Nina Crittenden said...

Thank you for sharing this, Geninne! I am glad the file found it's way back to you!
Nina

10/01/2010 10:53 AM  
Blogger Upnea said...

Se dice que las cosas no se pierden sólo cambian de lugar o que las cosas vuelven a su origen. En vuestro caso os ha sucedido lo segundo. Ese tipo de mueble es muy apreciado para quién sabe darle su uso. Me ha encantado la historia.
Geninne, gracias por compartirla ;-).

10/01/2010 11:07 AM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Thank you for the story - it's wonderful!

10/01/2010 11:09 AM  
Blogger My Hideaway said...

What a fun story! And you have lived in so many beautiful homes! You are one lucky lady:)

10/01/2010 11:23 AM  
Blogger Lau Gariglio said...

me encantó la historia de tu mueble! yo siento una gran atracción por esos muebles con cajones chiquitos, mi sueño es tener uno de los de las imprentas, y que tenga dentro de los cajoncitos los tipos de hierro de imprenta que se usaban para imprimir.
Besos

10/01/2010 11:27 AM  
Blogger JooJoo said...

What a sweet story Geninne! I think objects have feelings too and the flat file wanted to go back to a place that is being appreciated! :) xo

10/01/2010 11:29 AM  
OpenID satsumaart said...

What a nice story! Congratulations on reclaiming that member of your family! :) I've always wanted a flat file, but they're too expensive and my life is too unsettled for such a heavy piece of furniture. Someday I hope to have one as lovely as yours. :)

10/01/2010 11:33 AM  
Anonymous anika said...

what a great story!

it's seems like if you know what to do with flat files, they are incredibly valuable (I know I'm crazy about mine!), but I can see how someone who doesn't work with a lot of paper stuff would be stumped.

I'm so glad you got them back in such a nice way!

10/01/2010 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a family of creatives, we long for a file similar to the one Manolo designed! I am certain I could never run out of uses for it!

10/01/2010 11:50 AM  
Blogger kt_kthx said...

I just can't fathom how someone could HATE a beautiful piece of furniture like that. I would LOVE to get my hands on a flat file sometime soon, as my carrying portfolio is full to the brim and I have to stuff it in my closet!

10/01/2010 11:53 AM  
Blogger life in yonder said...

I loved your cabinet story and you don't need to worry about your writing. It is as good as it needs to be.

I love all your houses. It must be difficult to build and then moce away from it so soon. On the other hand you probably get more relaxed about it for each move you do.

... and the good thing is that for eacj house you make you learn more and more about what you like and what you don't like. In the end you will end up with a perfect house.

If I may: Why do you move so often?

10/01/2010 11:58 AM  
Blogger Chel said...

That is *so* wonderful. I love things like that!!

10/01/2010 12:12 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You were absolutely meant to keep it!

10/01/2010 12:19 PM  
Blogger inkspot said...

I am a new fan of yours! I only started my blog 2 days ago and saw your blog through a link, I love it!! I am hooked on your site! I love the fact that you have creativity oozing into every single thing you do! And I love your watercolours!! I also love that flat file cabinet!!! I want one!!!

10/01/2010 12:40 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Lullaby said...

Quizás conozcas ese dicho: "Si amas algo, déjalo libre; si vuelve a ti, es porque siempre fue tuyo". Eso podría aplicarse a vuestro precioso mueble!
Sois una pareja genial, Manolo y tú! Y sabes qué? Mi marido también se llama Manolo. Y también es genial!!!

10/01/2010 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Kathryn said...

I would never, ever leave behind a flat file so I can understand Manolo's pain! My parents have two beautiful 60's mod flat files (my earliest drawing memories are keeping my drawing supplies in the top drawer of one in our living room). I am hoping my father will pass them on to me one day, hoping, hoping!! Enjoy yours!

10/01/2010 1:11 PM  
Blogger Sleepandhersisters said...

what a wonderful story... and thank goodness for silly people in the world with no taste!!!

10/01/2010 1:24 PM  
Blogger Karen L R said...

perfection!

10/01/2010 1:56 PM  
Blogger Poorvi said...

Wow! So nice to see how somethings come back where they belong. Also loved going through pictures of the houses. You have lived in some of the most beautiful living spaces.
The windows got me curious. They are a distinct style. Are they all un-blinded/shaded/curtained?

10/01/2010 1:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What an incredible story! That flat file was indeed meant to spend its life with your family. (And you expressed yourself in writing perfectly :)

10/01/2010 2:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Your house is beautiful, and so is the flat file. Will you stay in this lovely home now?

I, for one, love your writing and would enjoy hearing more about the moves.

10/01/2010 2:35 PM  
Blogger bricarwaller said...

That's meant to be:) The flat file is amazing and it's terrific that it found its way back to you. The house is beyond beautiful.

10/01/2010 2:40 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

i loooove your home.

10/01/2010 2:59 PM  
Blogger HollyM said...

I think you write pretty well, and I love the story! I always feel awkward as I write. What a beautiful home. I must admit that I envy you that and the flat file as well.

10/01/2010 3:07 PM  
Blogger 32˙North said...

What a wonderful way to get the flat file back! I also love it. It's the best one I've ever seen... I'd keep lots of my Italian papers in it.

Amanda

10/01/2010 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

What a wonderful story! (And I think your writing is just fine.)

Wouldn't my kids and I love to have a flat file like that!

10/01/2010 3:34 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

just beautiful, your husband is also very talented. :)

10/01/2010 3:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa Flowers Ross said...

It is a beautiful piece and I can't see how anyone could hate it. But lucky for you, someone did and the piece came "home" to someone who appreciates and loves it.

10/01/2010 3:59 PM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

fantastic telling of a truly remarkable story.
That piece of beautifully designed and made furniture should be passes on for generations to come.
If I move to Mexico will Manolo build me a home?

10/01/2010 4:15 PM  
Blogger blue china studio said...

Oh what a great story! The flat file was meant to be with you as you said!

I just love this view of your house. Gorgeous.

10/01/2010 5:04 PM  
Blogger Pablo Acosta said...

Claro que me gustaria! y me gustó! dibujaste una sonrisa en mi cara en colores malvas!
Aunque eso si... hoy me lo pusiste dificil con el inglés...

10/01/2010 5:15 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

A great story! Obviously the cabinet was meant to be with you all along. Destiny perhaps?

10/01/2010 5:30 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Lovely story and such a beautiful home...

10/01/2010 6:02 PM  
Anonymous smallx2 said...

This story is wonderful and amazing,
I love this flat file.:-)

10/01/2010 6:11 PM  
Blogger Tricia - A Rosy Note said...

Love your flat file...it was meant to be yours :)

10/01/2010 6:14 PM  
Blogger ale balanzario said...

Bella historia Geninne, qué bueno que el mueble regreso a ustedes, los extrañaba tanto!!, muy linda tu casa.

Dile a Manolo que sus muebles son bellos, y por cierto, tengo un hijo Manolo, (y muy lindo), sera que los Manolos, son unas bellas personas. Yo creo que si.

Saludos.

10/01/2010 6:25 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

you attract what you think about - in action. love it!

10/01/2010 6:33 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Wonderful story. You expressed it quite beautifully.

Getting that lovely cabinet back is simply kismet ;)

10/01/2010 8:11 PM  
Blogger Veda Murthy said...

great story geninne! i cant believe he did not want it! and came back all the way just 2 give it back....i guess somethings are just meant to be the way they r!

10/01/2010 9:08 PM  
Blogger tusen said...

such a great story :)
I'm so happy for you - the flat file is so beautiful.

10/01/2010 10:27 PM  
Blogger Kamini said...

What an incredibly talented team you and Manolo are! I could spend hours reading your blog and re-reading it! Glad you got the flat file back...I may have to show the pic to our carpenter here so I can have one made for my art work too! Hope thats Ok with you...?

10/02/2010 12:47 AM  
Anonymous KarinC said...

Amazing story!
I really enjoy your blog, your art, your writing and all the positive vibes. Oh! And I love your pantry! :)

10/02/2010 12:56 AM  
Blogger parisa mahmoudi said...

Fantastic Story and flat file!!!
I really love your blog! :D

10/02/2010 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Teje said...

Hello Geninne! I loved to hear that amazing story! Also your house is fantastic like the earliers too. My father is an architect and that's why I have always been interested about houses and desing. We have planned and build our house about 7 years ago and now try to sell it to build another! It's always so great to visit you! Thank you for wonderful blog! Teje

10/02/2010 2:09 AM  
Blogger Jill Wignall said...

What a wonderful story and what awful writing skills?! Thank you for sharing. It's such a great story and a beautiful piece of furniture.

10/02/2010 2:27 AM  
Anonymous diana said...

Great story Geninne!
You were lucky you didn't sell the house to us - we would NEVER have given that file drawer back ;) - unless Manolo would have had an exact copy made of it...;)

10/02/2010 3:20 AM  
Blogger pasiakowa said...

That's a great story! How wonderful you just had the opportunity to get the flat file drawer back! :) To be honest I have a dream to have one just to put the papers, drawings and supplies in it ;) Maybe one day it will come true ;)

And thank you for another photo of the house. I still love how it is designed! :)

Have a great weekend!

10/02/2010 6:12 AM  
Blogger Carol & Eddy said...

I love your story! :-)

10/02/2010 7:53 AM  
Blogger michelle allen said...

your flat file and home are beautiful!!! your last sentence asking for forgiveness about your writing skills made me actually comment. (i usually just drool!) i know the feeling of insecurity over writing skills! i love your blog and have never thought your writing skills poor! your blog is a shining light. kindly, michelle

10/02/2010 9:07 AM  
OpenID sudukc said...

What a great story about the flat file. I love the flat file and would love to have one too. I also love you artwork, it is so crisp, clean and clear. Thank you for sharing.

10/02/2010 9:55 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I'd like to think that the flat file itself missed you and never let itself attach to the new owners so that they never were able to fall in love with it - wouldn't that be romantic? You are a fabulous writer - I thoroughly enjoyed that story and hope to see more of that here. I am ALWAYS inspired by you, no matter what form of expression you are doing. Thank you for that.

10/02/2010 1:27 PM  
Blogger salli s. swindell said...

i think you + manolo must have 90 hours in your day rather than only 24! you've created so many beautiful spaces + images + pieces.. every posting + story of yours is a joy!

10/02/2010 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Dorothy said...

God always gives us the desire of our hearts.....but in Him time!!

10/02/2010 5:09 PM  
Anonymous rebecca said...

i covet thy flat file! so glad it made its way back to you!

10/02/2010 5:41 PM  
Blogger dls said...

Thanks for the story..... loved learning about the file. Your newest home is lovely.

10/02/2010 8:20 PM  
Blogger Moags and Smeet said...

Great post! I LOVE flat files (perfect for all my little bits) and amd so glad that it made it back to your house.

10/03/2010 12:00 AM  
Blogger Anpu said...

Love that Flat file!!! OMG...I want one! probably 2...One for my paints and pencils and the other for jewellry
Thanks so much for sharing.

You have a Beautiful and a warm home. Just love all of the carpentry/wood work done...

10/03/2010 3:48 PM  
Blogger Gloria Freshley said...

Indeed, that is a wonderful story!! Everything on your blog and in your home is lovely!! Kudos to both of you! Best...

10/03/2010 5:56 PM  
Blogger Megan Champion said...

What incredible fortune! And your home is so lovely and modern!

10/03/2010 7:03 PM  
Blogger shopgirl said...

Awesome story! It was kismet! I love how happy this story made you (and me). Stories like this always make me believe that anything and everything is possible.

10/04/2010 1:01 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

A wonderful story. Thanks for sharing :-)

10/06/2010 6:06 AM  
Blogger zime said...

Adoro poder leer este tipo de historias en los blogs!!! Y sobre todo cuando veo mi arte colgado en su nueva casa :)
Gracias Gen!!!

10/07/2010 5:37 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

What a fantastic story. It was just meant to be. I think it is a beautiful piece and would love to have one like that. I can dream!

10/07/2010 12:01 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

Casa Azul is beautiful!

10/13/2010 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Candace said...

All of your houses are soooo beautiful, I don't think I could ever leave any of them. And I'm glad you got your flat file back.

9/17/2011 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a wonderfully rustic flat file in our unfinished basement,it's been there for 10 years. I made my husband keep it when he sold his printing company. I have always loved it, but Hubs "doesn't consider it furniture" . I've shown him many examples of interior decor uses to no avail. But..today, after seeing this story in Pinterest.. "my" flat file will be coming up to live with us!!!

8/19/2012 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home