Thursday, May 07, 2009

F.A.Q #2

This is probably the question I'm asked the most.
This is my favorite carving block to make stamps.
It really does cut like butter:
This tool is called a linoleum cutter.
I use one made by Speedball.
I mostly use the liner tip, and the large gouge:
I have experimented with many brands of ink pads
and this is my favorite brand:



I hope this is helpful & encourages you to try it out,
it is so much fun!

*Someone wanted to know
what font I used to type the F.A.Q.:
It is American Typewriter regular :)

Labels: ,

69 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Jane Farr said...

Most helpful! Thank you Geninne!!

5/07/2009 11:10 AM  
Blogger Novi On The Go said...

I like the porcupine stamps, so cute! Thanks for the tips!

5/07/2009 11:53 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Brilliant! You are so talented and generous with your sharing. Thank you. Do you do commission stamps? My husband and I have a design which we would very much like to have made into a stamp in a small and a large size. Do you do this type of thing? If so, sould you please email me at bintang10@hotmail.com I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

5/07/2009 11:54 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

i love this new feature of yours! thank you for sharing :)

5/07/2009 12:01 PM  
Blogger Mon said...

Thank you for sharing~

5/07/2009 12:27 PM  
Blogger Silvana said...

Muy generoso de tu parte!. Muchas gracias!!
... igual, lo que a mi me encantan son TUS sellos y eso es puro mérito tuyo ... ojalá existiera el contagio de talento (y no el de la gripe!)
Beso

5/07/2009 1:59 PM  
Blogger zime said...

OHHH querida amiga, those tools are terrific!!! Unfortunately, here in Argentine don't have those kind of tools. I usually do my carve on linoleum. It's a little hard but the result is nice. A good material for doing it with the childs are the plastic trays which are generally used for carry food.
I haven't luck with inks, I wish have some ColorBox ;)
Un beso amiga
(^v^)

5/07/2009 2:05 PM  
Blogger Catherine Hansen Peart said...

I soooo need these tools. Have a look at my fledgling attempts inspired by your blog! http://ginghamcherry.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-next-stamp-attempt.html

5/07/2009 2:37 PM  
Blogger Meninheira said...

hahaha, Gracias Gennine, era yo la de la fuente :D

Un besito grande

5/07/2009 2:55 PM  
Anonymous libradita said...

¿Donde consigues estos materiales en el D.F.? gracias por compartir

5/07/2009 3:00 PM  
Blogger Veroka said...

Bueno, ojalá tuviéramos esas herramientas aquí... nos arreglamos con lo que hay.
Pero es evidente que además del talento (OF COURSE), es necesario contar con los mejores elementos para realizar los famosos sellitos!

5/07/2009 3:51 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Everything I know I learned from you!! I just need to practice more. :)

5/07/2009 4:23 PM  
OpenID oneartistjournal said...

Great tips.. I've been wondering myself about these lovely stamps..So far I only used potatoes (:

5/07/2009 5:39 PM  
Blogger barb jensen said...

Thanks for this! Sometimes it is the most basic information that is the most helpful. that is my favorite ink pad brand too, but i didn't know which kind of blocks were best.

5/07/2009 7:57 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Thank you for answering my FAQ - even tho I'm like the zillionth person to ask...here's another question: it looks to me like Dick Blick only ships to the 48 states and you're in Mexico (and I'm in Singapore....) how do you get those carving blocks? Do you have a local supplier or did I read the Dick Blick site incorrectly?

5/07/2009 8:12 PM  
Blogger Veda Murthy said...

wow...thats a realy helpful info..thanks geninne

5/07/2009 8:28 PM  
Blogger Shalini said...

Thanks so much for the info....always wanted to do more of these, but used the right material apparently!

5/08/2009 12:19 AM  
Blogger sisseloonie said...

I love your blog!
Feeling happy and very inspired reading it!

5/08/2009 1:29 AM  
Blogger EMBELLISHER said...

Thank-you that was really nic of you to share the tools and materials used for printing.I'll be asking the DH to pick up some of these on his next trip to the USA, don't get them here- the inks and the carving block.

5/08/2009 1:48 AM  
Blogger me Zac said...

I always wanted to know to cause I adore your stamps! Thank you so much!

5/08/2009 4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Geninne,

I just want to say i love your artworks.The F.A.Q is really helpful as recently i just get interested with rubber stamp carving..

Also,if not too much to ask,do you mind to show a clip of your painting process?I find your watercolor works really amazing and beautiful.Hopefully i could learn a technique or two from you..

:( i can't paint well but i love painting.

-comet-

5/08/2009 5:21 AM  
Blogger pklaw said...

Geninne, Thanks again for your tutorial and the info on materials used. I hope you get a kickback as I just placed an order! I'm gonna give it a try!

5/08/2009 11:25 AM  
Blogger Moose said...

My human mom even uses her color box stamp pads for my BIG paws!
Tail Wags to All.
~Moose

5/08/2009 2:35 PM  
Blogger Patricia Miller Artist Blogspot said...

Love your input of things you use. Happy Creating
Patricia

5/08/2009 4:29 PM  
Blogger sandiellaandersson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5/08/2009 11:45 PM  
Blogger sandiellaandersson said...

I am getting so inspired! I live in Sweden and I could not buy the carver here, but fortunally my parents were going to NY last week. So I placed an order with them, along with an adress to a place where they sell them, and now I can start carving! Thank you for all the inspiration!

5/08/2009 11:49 PM  
Blogger benila said...

Thank you, Genine. Always great inspirations from you!

5/09/2009 9:41 AM  
Blogger Belén said...

todos nos preguntábamos lo mismo!! hermosos sellos!!

5/09/2009 3:50 PM  
Blogger Sabbio said...

Gracias para condividir con nosotros! Yo tambien me gusta "color box" ^^

5/10/2009 3:48 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Your art work is amazing and thank you for the stamp tutorial.
Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy Staedtler artists carving block in the UK. I have tried to search on the internet, but haven't had any luck. Thanks

5/10/2009 10:21 AM  
Blogger belula said...

Muchas gracias!!!....a ver si encuentro algo en españa...jejeje!!!

5/11/2009 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

I use all the same materials you do. And sometimes little pink erasers. I can't wait til the day my stamps look as good as yours. Practice, practice, practice.

5/11/2009 3:33 PM  
Blogger Cláudia Guedes said...

Hi!I have one of my own in silver color.
It's quite nice, i used it in my daughters clothes.

5/14/2009 5:01 AM  
Blogger Mia Zucca said...

Thanks for this. I was just about to email you with the question, "how do you get such fine lines in your carvings," but now I have the answer. Love the photo of your mom btw so pretty.

5/18/2009 7:56 PM  
Blogger kawaii crafter said...

First, I have to say the porcupine puffer stamps are just adorable. I used to have one for a pet so I pretty much adore anything that is porcupine puffer related.

Also wanted to let you know that I linked to your site in my most recent post.

kind regards,
jessica

5/24/2009 5:07 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

I just found you today via Zakka Life... your work is absolutely beautiful and thankyou so much for sharing how you make your hand carved stamps, I'm off now to find all the erasers in the house :)
ps I love your creative space

5/24/2009 11:08 PM  
Blogger Shipra Panosian said...

I love colorbox stamp pads too. I tried my hand at hand carving stamps years ago when I was just out of college and this darling stamp store opened up down the street. I used small erasers and made an oak leaf stamp and a maple leaf stamp. So pretty and I was so proud of myself. You have so inspired me to dig them out of the attic and dust them off. Thanks for your tool tips!

5/25/2009 6:09 PM  
Blogger JB said...

I tried using the mastercarve, but found it too brittle... it almost comes apart in eraser bits.. so i stuck with the pink speedball kind. do you like that one?

love your work btw

jimena

5/31/2009 9:50 PM  
Blogger Salzanos said...

I love LOVe your site! I am watching the video on carving a stamp. Super cool. Thanks for the help, instruction and just plain fun pages to roam!

6/05/2009 2:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I've recently been thinking about how awesome it would be to make stamps to use in my illustrations and I've just come across this post - I'm definitely going to try it because you've made it seem so easy! Great blog, I'll be sure to check back often :)

6/07/2009 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Lata said...

thnx GOD i've found you with your beautiful art work... greetings from Jakarta Indonesia :)

i don't know what to say... just drop by and wanna see more about your work here :)

6/07/2009 7:33 PM  
Blogger Elin Käll said...

Wow, just find this place and it´s wonderful. I´m so impressed and like your stuff a lot. Specially the birds. (I visited Etsy as well) And your boys illustrations are genious.
Thankyou for showing them.

6/08/2009 1:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I just found your blog after the plug on 'Drawn!' and I LOVE your work.

I bought a carve block yesterday, pulled out a barely-used lino cutter and last night I made my first stamp using your tutorials, thank you!! :)

Your journals are lovely too!

6/10/2009 9:59 AM  
Blogger steppie said...

i also love colorbox!

keep up with your blog - this is very inspiring! :) xo

6/20/2009 2:07 AM  
Blogger Ludid said...

I just created my first stamp; it was so exciting. Thank you for the video tutorial as well.

7/13/2009 10:58 AM  
Blogger han_ysic said...

Got a speedball today. I love this, and can't wait to make some.

7/29/2009 11:14 PM  
Anonymous suzi said...

Thank you Geninne, for the tip on Staedtler Carving Block! It wasn't easy finding a European store carrying these but I found that Amazon has 2 sizes. Wonderful tutorial, by the way!

8/25/2009 1:55 PM  
Blogger 可可 said...

情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看

9/10/2009 9:37 AM  
Anonymous emily @ the daily smudge said...

this is fantastic.. thankyou so much. (hope you don't I linked to you from my blog?!) Have wanted to know for ages how to do this for a long time and you describe it brilliantly. a million thankyous!

9/17/2009 2:46 AM  
Blogger Daniel Montoya said...

Thank you for the tutorial on stamp carving and for sharing your knowledge and experience. I have a printmaking background using wood and linoleum for carving - but didn't know about the Artist Carving Block.

I've seen your work on Etsy and it is wonderful and so delicate.

Fellow newbie Etsian,

Thanks again,

Daniel

10/06/2009 11:07 AM  
Blogger Joie Moring said...

Geninne, my first time visiting here by way of Kimmie's blog at art in red wagons. Really love your design work...and how nice to show us some tricks and tools. I guess I need to get carvin' (like butter) and stampin'! Thanks for sharing.

10/22/2009 12:36 AM  
Blogger ccg said...

Thank you so much Geninne!
It's such a generous act, showing us how we can make our own stamps...
I can't wait to find those materials and try it myself-
all the best to you and yours,
Cecilia g
Burnedfurniture

11/14/2009 7:32 AM  
Blogger Floddertje said...

Hi Gennine,

Love your blog! I use the same speedball crving set, but I never know what to do with that one strange little knife, do you?
I saw in the comments that some people had trouble buying supplies. I did too, you can't bu it in Holland, but I've ordered my stuff at Stampeaz, they ship to Europe.

1/07/2010 1:09 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Gennine, Do you know if you can find this supplies in Mexico?

Gracias

3/04/2010 11:59 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

*these

3/04/2010 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Liane at PrairieGarden said...

Geninne - you are so wonderful to share this with us! The puffer fish are simply fantastic. I can't get over how cute they are.
Take care and now I can't wait to draw something well enough to carve :-)

4/03/2010 4:53 AM  
Blogger mjey said...

Hi

Just came across your blog. Its brilliant. I live in Malaysia and dnt seem to find this carving block here. Do u know any asian country supplying this?

Please email me at mjey66@gmail.com

6/24/2010 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Absolutely loved the 'feather' stamp making

10/11/2010 12:17 PM  
Blogger cookievf said...

Found you through artessen's post about your tutorial! Also enjoy your drawings of everyday objects: love the "art supplies" drawing - so much to love here... thank you for sharing.
- vicki

3/24/2011 8:37 PM  
Anonymous akirsa said...

Oh... dickblick.com doesn't had Mastercarve for a long time... are you getting it from other site?

6/10/2011 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

I. Love. This blog. Was directed here by Little Piece of Pie on Wordpress, and am so grateful! Gennine's Art Blog is gorgeous from top to bottom, back to the top again and round and round in the middle. So excited to add this to my RSS feed - thanks!

8/22/2011 8:28 PM  
Blogger Cinderella Patch said...

Hi Gennine, I saw your upper case article about rubber stamping and also this tutorial. I'd like to use the photo from the uppercase article and I can't seem to figure out how to contact you via email. Please let me know if it's ok. If I don't hear from you I will post it but of course take it down if you object. I love your work and
Thanks lots!!

1/11/2012 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Riddhi said...

Your work is so so soulful! I am a designer & I just love your work. You have been a great inspiration to me, I have started to illustrate lately & I am enjoying it completely. Its great to see your commitment towards your blog as well. How do you consistently keep blogging?? :) I make customised notebooks & looking to start a blog on it someday. I wanted to know about hand carved stamps. Mastercarve has discontinued online supply for some time, what is the next best online option? Pls help (riddhi@tinyfarm.com) Thanks for being such a great artist & sharing your beautiful world.

3/22/2012 1:14 AM  
Blogger antonine said...

I love this blog ! every time I discover things, thank you for sharing with us all these wonderful

5/07/2012 7:08 AM  
Blogger Shannon :: The Scribble Pad said...

Geninne, I went to a high school with a great art program. Many of the pieces I did incorportate my own hand carved stamps. We used a tool to hold the carving block that was shaped like a double sided L - it would lie flat on the table with part of the "L" bending down to hold the edge of the table and the other half of the "L" at the opposite end bending up to push the carving block against - this kept hands out of the way.

I have been searching for something like this, but have no idea what it would be called. Do you have any clue what I am talking about?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

8/01/2012 6:58 AM  
Blogger oSoFine said...

@Shannon, I think the "tool" you are describing is a Bench Hook/Inking Plate. I have one made by Speedball. It is handy for carving and doubles as a surface on which to squeeze out (and mix) printing ink. Then you roll a brayer over the ink and use that to apply to your stamp or lino block. Here is a link to the product on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B004BNEKYO .

Gennine, I have been avidly reading your blog since I discovered it about 6 months ago (I think this is my first comment). It's at the top of my list of blogs to check out. I am continually impressed and inspired by your work, your photographs, your home(s), and your outlook on life. Thank you so much for all you share! I've pre-ordered your book and can't wait for it to come out! I was so excited when I realized that you had contributed to one of my favorite art books of the past few years, Carla Sonheim's "Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists"! I had read the book cover-to-cover before I stumbled on your blog via a different source, but as your contribution is near the end of the book I didn't make the connection until I had worked my way through the rest of the labs. :)

I see a comment above regarding Mastercarve, which is sadly no longer available (though I keep coming across internet rumors that they are bringing it back... the Staedtler website does not confirm that). I must have started carving stamps right after they took it off the market and I wish I'd had the chance to try it since so many people rave about it! I wonder what you use now that it is no longer available? Do you still have a stash of it leftover? I'm guessing that you will answer this in your book, but I'd love a hint! ;> I use Speedball Speedy-Carve (the pink stuff). I also tried Speedball Speedycut (the white stuff)... I don't know why they even sell that, it's so awful to work with! It crumbles so badly that even when I brush it with a soft paintbrush I invariably end up getting dust on my inkpads and little glitches on my prints. The only thing I like better about the Speedycut over the Speedy-Carve (other than it's cheaper) is that it's thicker, so both sides can be carved and there is more to hold onto when printing (from what I can see in photos, the Mastercarve was similarly thick).

Lastly, I was wondering if you have used Colorbox ink on fabric? I haven't tried printing on fabric yet, but I had read somewhere that VersaCraft was better for fabric (after being heat-set with an iron).

Thank you again for your wonderful work and blog - it cheers me every time you post a new entry!

9/09/2012 4:11 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I am also wondering about what replaces the mastercarve blocks. I haven't found a suitable replacement. Do you have any opinions?

10/06/2012 9:39 AM  
Blogger pernille|illustrafil.dk said...

Unfortunately this is out of stock (At least it hasn't been possible for me to find it anywhere online). Do you have a great alternative that can be bought on the internet? (I live in Sweden). PS: Love your book, just got it!

10/21/2012 12:03 AM  
Blogger ine said...

I need your help! I love your blog, you are so hepfull. I live in Argentina and i can't found carving block. what can i usea instead?? thank you soooo much! =)

12/19/2012 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home