Friday, February 22, 2013

Most Frequently Asked Question

Carving block stash
I thought today I'd tackle the answer to the question I'm asked the most:
"What material do you use to make your stamps?"
This is my humongous stash of Staedtler's MasterCarve rubber carving blocks. Unfortunately this wonderful material has been discontinued for a few years
and it doesn't look like it's making a comeback any time soon.
I have enough to last me a decade I guess :-)
There is a brand that is very similar and we used it during the stamp carving workshop I taught in Toronto last year, it's called MooCarve. The nice thing about it is that it has the same thickness as the MasterCarve blocks and is very easy to hold when stamping. I doesn't need to be mounted onto wood or acrylic if you don't want to.
I've also used Speedy-Carve rubber blocks by Speedball and it works really well but it only has a quarter of an inch in thickness and does need
some kind of backing with larger size stamps.
I also collect different brands of rubber erasers for smaller stamps. Lookout for the very dense erasers that won't crumble when you carve into them.
You can purchase the MooCarve blocks from Amazon, Blick Art Materials and other art & craft supply shops.

Labels: , ,