Saturday, July 07, 2012

Birdsong

Birdcall
Watercolor & digital collage. Inspired by all the different beautiful bird calls I've been listening to lately. Here's a bird song I recorded during one of my walks with Turbo. I'm hoping one of you might recognize it.
To me it sounds like a rusty swing at the playground :-)

****Update: Thank you guys! You nailed it!
It's a russet-nightingale thrush Catharus Occidentallis.
Now that I know what it looks like I'll keep an eye out with my camera on my next walk in the woods.

24 Lovely Comments:

Blogger OeLaLaa said...

Hi Gennine, beautiful collage! I don't recognize the bird call, but it does sound a bit like a rusty swing! It is always so nice to be accompanied by bird friends during a walk in the forest. Oh I could heard Turbo on the recording as well, haha! ;)

7/07/2012 11:59 PM  
Blogger Zickimicki said...

i love your posts, but my english is very bad and my comments also ;) sorry!
XXX birgit

7/08/2012 3:14 AM  
Blogger miezchen said...

hei!
i love your blog and scroll and scroll with the left title side of the month.

i miss a bit under the last post of the sides th buttons to scoll to next pages.
it will be easyer for us user. :)

have a godd time!

miezchen

7/08/2012 3:49 AM  
Blogger miezchen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/08/2012 3:49 AM  
Blogger miezchen said...

and i´m sorry for my english!

7/08/2012 3:50 AM  
Blogger miezchen said...

äääh... on the right side.. the month...

7/08/2012 3:52 AM  
Blogger Julie Clay Illustration said...

So nice to get a feel of your surroundings, i'm getting quite good at recognising birdsong over here in GB but don't know your birdy? Funny to hear Turbo coming over to you, sounds like he was having a good race around :)

7/08/2012 6:29 AM  
Blogger Claud said...

Sounds like a Thrush of some sort. The Hermit Thrush has a somewhat similar sound:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/hermit_thrush/id

Claud

7/08/2012 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Adamandia K. said...

Love the collage...very forth dimensional. Time-space.

7/08/2012 7:58 AM  
Blogger Memento Vivere said...

Beautiful and lovely watercolour and collage!

7/08/2012 9:22 AM  
OpenID pierrmorgan said...

Beautiful birdsong - your art and the swingset bird! I agree with Claud. A Hermit Thrush or a Varied. I hear them all day in my neck o' the woods.

7/08/2012 9:23 AM  
Anonymous madison said...

I'm not entirely sure that this bird is native to your area, but it sounds an awful lot (to my untrained ear) like a Black-faced Solitaire.

http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/portal/species/overview?p_p_spp=545516

7/08/2012 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Beth said...

Lovely piece. Reminds me just a bit of the beautiful pillow cover we got from you. Your birds sing.

The bird call sounded like so many high-pitched onces, and we don't live in your area so can't be of much help. There are great on-line sites to help out though. When you said rusty hinge, I though of the yellow-headed blackbird, though he's not in our area (but may be in yours):

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/yellow-headed_blackbird/sounds Scroll down a tad to listen to listen.

7/08/2012 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Francesca said...

Geninne, it sounds like a Nightingale-Thrush to me. We only have Ruddy-capped Nightingale-Thrush here in the mountains of Chiapas, but in your area it could be Russet Nightingale-Thrush as well.

7/08/2012 10:53 AM  
Blogger Sherry Harmes said...

Hi Geninne, Your collage is fantastic! I do not know that birdie song. Please post a picture when you find out its id. Hugs from Alaska.

7/08/2012 1:12 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Oh! I want to do this! I'll have to make my own recording soon. :) Love the artwork, too.

xo

7/08/2012 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Mary Jo said...

Hi Geninne,
I think it's a russet nightingale-thrush:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Catharus-occidentalis?&view=3

What do you think?

Mary Jo

7/08/2012 6:25 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Love the collage!

7/09/2012 5:24 AM  
Blogger Lumii said...

Acabo de leer el post de Dyana Sukida ("The tiny Aviary") Hay un libro maravilloso de Marie Delany que tengo en mi biblioteca,se llama :"Mrs. Delany and her circle" editado por Yale University Press.Su trabajo es de una belleza increible!! y gracias por el link hacia el British Museum, Geninne, carinos de una chilena expatriada en Suiza!

7/09/2012 6:59 AM  
Blogger Marilyn M. Roane said...

Thank you for your inspirational posts! Your supply list has guided me in setting my 5th grade students up for some serious water color work!

7/09/2012 9:09 AM  
Blogger Nelson Tipsword said...

I really like this piece. It is 6:53 a.m. where I am at so as you can imagine the birds are up and chirping. Their music intertwined with your blog is a wonderful juxtaposition to my senses.

7/11/2012 4:55 AM  
Blogger wall sticker said...

best and beautiful collage,, which inspire u.
http://www.alacraft.com.au/wall-stickers-cat32

7/13/2012 3:36 AM  
OpenID adminoutlet said...

NFL Patriots Jersey
Womens Ravens Jersey
Custom Jets Jerseys
New Steelers Nike Jerseys
Rob Gronkowski Jersey
Vernon Gholston Jersey
ray-rice-jersey.html>Ray Rice Jersey
Ben Roethlisberger Jersey

7/16/2012 8:39 PM  
Blogger Dede said...

Thank you for all you share, I have been a blog fan for 2 years...I love the posting of the bird picture on "Levallois-Perret" card, I lived there in Paris suburb just before being married, 22 years ago! You do such amazing work...I' making a quilt for my daughter going off to college with your fabrics!

7/24/2012 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home