Friday, September 23, 2011

Salsa Verde

Salsa verde
Photographic companion to the salsa verde recipe
I shared at Nate & Salli's They Draw and Cook.
Salsa verde drawncook
Cover_CurryCabbage
The book is available for pre-order and will be out in October!
I made Manolo some 'huevos revueltos con nopales' (scrambled eggs with paddle cactus) which is a very traditional Mexican breakfast.
He ate them with my salsa verde & corn tortillas I warmed up on the griddle.
1
Roast the tomatillos, serrano chiles and cactus paddles in a hot griddle.
2
Finelly chop the onion and garlic
3
and give them a few wacks in the mortar and pestle to let all the juices out.
4
Once the tomatillos and chiles are cooked puree them using an immersion blender.
5
Put the tomatillo puree back in the mortar and mix with the onion, garlic and a handfull of fresh finally chopped cilantro.
6
Season with salt to taste and the salsa verde is ready!
7
Chop up the roasted nopales and mix them with two beaten eggs.
Season with salt and pepper and pour the mixture
into a pre-heated non stick pan with a little bit of oil.
8
It's very important not to overcook the eggs.
9
When the eggs are ready serve them with warm corn tortillas and salsa verde.
If you're not into paddle cactus like me,
you can scramble the eggs with sautéed mushrooms instead.
Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

32 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Maunder said...

Oh my goodness. That looks delicious!

9/23/2011 8:55 AM  
Blogger onirical said...

i'm hungry now...

9/23/2011 8:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

So many talents!

9/23/2011 9:26 AM  
OpenID aracelisrandomness said...

Que rico - que hambre!

9/23/2011 9:42 AM  
Blogger We Blog Artists said...

So...not only are you an amazing artist...you're a fabulous CHEF too!
happy weekending.
LOOKS divine G!
Char.x

9/23/2011 9:44 AM  
Blogger Gerrie said...

I am craving these, now! Beutiful food.

9/23/2011 9:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa Graham Art said...

How awesome, but Geninne, how do you get your cooking done when you're taking all those fantastic photographs?!

9/23/2011 10:20 AM  
OpenID Claud said...

Que rico se ve todo! Gracias por la receta y que tengas un buen fin de tambien.

9/23/2011 10:39 AM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

i actually think I miss nopales
and you but that is no surprise

9/23/2011 10:40 AM  
Blogger heleen said...

that looks very good! But where could I find nopales in France I wonder......... Mushrooms is no problem though.

9/23/2011 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Rendell said...

Yumalicious!!!

9/23/2011 12:23 PM  
Anonymous nettie said...

who's manuel ?

9/23/2011 3:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Your salsa verde bird is THE BEST!!!! Love it. So cute and so ready for the party! Made me smile big time. xoox

9/23/2011 3:41 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

My mouth is watering! I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

9/23/2011 6:46 PM  
Blogger dutch sisters said...

Yummie, that looks delicious!
Shame we do not have nopales here.
Guess I'll have to come over to taste a bit.

9/23/2011 10:47 PM  
Blogger Alexandra K. said...

Im sooooo hungry!!!;)

9/23/2011 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Yna said...

I've looked at the book and I love it. I try to get it in Germany from the 4. Oktober. Wonderful illustrations. And than I try your salsa verde ;-)

9/24/2011 12:15 AM  
Blogger se7en said...

It is my dream to create a family cook book like that... I even have the sketchbook and the watercolors and the pens ready... but now that I see it here - I think I will just pre-order the real thing!!!

9/24/2011 1:51 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

I have to go find some cactus paddles today! Thanks for the recipe! Love all of your artwork! You son is a fantastic artist too!

9/24/2011 7:27 AM  
Blogger vint@ge by Maria Sole Tattini said...

nice post!I hope you have some time to see my last post. kisses Maria Sole

blog/vint@ge by Maria Sole Tattini
Fb page;)

9/24/2011 9:06 AM  
Blogger PrairieGarden-Liane said...

Geninne, is there nothing you can't do :-)
I need to go make breakfast now...okay, brunch...

9/24/2011 9:32 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Lucky Manolo had an amazing breakfast! Thanks for the shout out to They Draw and Cook Geninne - You really ARE the best!

9/24/2011 10:43 AM  
Blogger Emie58 said...

Yummmmm... that looks delicious. I put the book on my wish list. About how long can the salsa verde be kept in the frig?
Thanks for sharing, Emie

9/24/2011 11:06 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

Gennine, I found cactus paddle do you peel it first after roasting. I managed to get pricked while removing thorns, I guess that is expected. I did roast them, getting ready for tomorrow's breakfast. Now onto the salsa!

9/24/2011 12:54 PM  
Blogger Sharolyn said...

must try this! we love salsa verde!

9/24/2011 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Oliver. said...

No bueno, es que aquí me tienes salivando del antojo...

9/24/2011 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Rupa said...

I love Salsa Verde and I am so proud that my recipe (given by a friend of mine) is the same as yours! My mouth is watering.

9/26/2011 9:47 AM  
Blogger bella celestial said...

WoW! Beautiful and Delicious. I'm missing fresh grown noplaes from our back yard but it was nice to see your beautiful breakfast. Your tortillas are very nice and infladitas, muy bonitas muy bonitas! Blessings to you and your family.
dora

9/27/2011 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Renate said...

mmmm... with nopal for me, please! Yum.
Is your recipe appearing in the book, too?

9/29/2011 6:16 AM  
Anonymous Meaning-full said...

More art than breakfast - Man, now I miss mexico even more

9/30/2011 6:34 PM  
Anonymous kattya said...

Geninne, every time I catch up with your blog I just keep smiling and smiling. Today was particularly special since I've been craving nopalitos con huevo for a while but I'm waiting for my friends the Gs to come for one of our infamous sleepovers (2 days in pijamas, cooking, eating, talking, walking the garden). This post did it. I might not wait. Your recipe for salsa verde looks fabulous and I can't wait to try it. I love your art, I love your perception of things. Can't wait for Alegria. Good luck and thank you for the smiles.

12/12/2011 4:48 AM  
Anonymous http://polloalhorno.org/ said...

We always make it at home.

8/15/2013 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home