Friday, November 23, 2007

Hand Carved Stamps Tutorial Part 1

This is a list of the tools that I use to make my stamps.
You can certainly use other alternatives.
I am linking each item to Blick Art Supplies
simply because they have good photos
and it's where I usually buy my supplies,
but any of these things can be bought at any other
art/office supply store in your area.
1- A Speedball linoleum cutter is the tool you will use to carve your stamps. I use the No.1 and No.5 cutters. The No.1 is for carving out fine lines and the No. 5 for carving out large areas of the stamp.

2- You can use any kind of dense/soft eraser to make your stamps (I recommend Staedtler erasers, they work like a charm) or carving blocks made specifically for this purpose like MasterCarve, E-Z Cut, Soft-Kut and many more. For the purpose of this tutorial I will make stamps with erasers which are easily available to everyone.

3- A trusty (and highly dangerous) X-Acto knife for cutting the eraser or block material to the desired size or shape. Be careful with this tool! and always put the protective cap back on after each use.

4- Any type of archival ink pad. There are so many kinds of ink pads available out there! I use StazOn, or VersaColor, you can also use black ink pads from office supply shops.

5- A No.2 pencil.

6- Some plain white paper to do some stamping tests and to draw the image you want to transfer on to your carving block.

7- And last but not least: an idea ;) You have to decide what it is that you want to make...I would start with a basic simple shape. I use my teardrop shapes all the time or just a basic triangle like the happy Christmas trees I recently posted. Practice, practice, practice and in no time you will be making more intricate shapes.

Part 2 of the tutorial will be posted next friday so stay tuned!

Labels:

40 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

wonderful tutorial!! :^D

11/23/2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger Lori Pickert said...

i guess i should have said, wonderful beginning -- can't wait for part 2! ;^)

xoxo

11/23/2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Yay! Gaelan has been watching me carve for some time but with you doing it I think he will finally hunker down and go to it.

Hmmm, first idea he has is a stamp of our pet corgi...maybe I'll talk to him about a teardrop shape.

Your package is almost done and I must say Gaelan and I had so much fun picking goodies for you and your boys. I guess your husband gets nothing :-

xo

11/23/2007 5:11 PM  
Blogger Ani said...

i've always wanted to know how to do this. thanks for the lovely tutorial!

11/23/2007 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Molly said...

What a beautiful and creative post. You've opened me up when I was thinking that a broken camera might interfere with my posting for a bit. And such great info. Looking forward to part II.

- Molly Irwin

11/23/2007 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Ika said...

I watched your flicker photo stream with hand carved stamps, and I found them so very inspiring (as most things you create!) I really feel up to trying my hand on some stamp carving now, I just need to look around for some tools and materials. I have actually been doing a bit of linoleum cutting before, although that was done in A4 - A5 size (and at school, which means I did not need to shop for the equipment myself). Well, I might be a bit rusty, but at least I recognize most of the tools in your post. :)

11/24/2007 4:23 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I have always, always, always wanted to learn how to do this. I'm very excited!

11/24/2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger letra errante said...

Gracias por el tutorial. Tus grabados son una delicia y en general tu blog es un lugar para alegrar el día. ¿Es posible encontrar el carving block y los ink pads en México?

11/24/2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Hola Geninne! Hace meses tu blog es un paso obligado para mí. Desde la primera vez que ví los sellos, me puse a probar con lo que tenía a mano. Son adictivos!. Agradezco la inspiración y tu enorme generosidad (sumado a tu talento: una mezcla maravillosa!).

11/25/2007 3:26 PM  
Blogger Marcela Calderón said...

Hola, Geninne! Qué bueno que te decidiste a postear este tutorial... Lo seguiremos paso a paso.
Gracias por tu saluditen mi blog. Un placer!

11/25/2007 5:34 PM  
Blogger Geninne said...

Thank you so much for you comments you guys!

Letra Errante: He encontrados algunos "ink pads" en las tiendas especializadas de Scrapbooking, pero desgraciada e irónicamente los blocks son hechos en México en la fábrica de Staedtler pero no se comercializan en México :( Antes de usar los bloques hacía mis ssellos con linóleo que si venden aca en México en Lumen o con gomas de borrar Staedtler...hay que ingeniárselas, verdad? Muchas gracias por tus amables comentarios, me encanta que me visiten de aca en Mexico :)

11/25/2007 7:41 PM  
Blogger isabel f. said...

thanks Geninne!!
i will try, i`m sure it will be perfect with this help, thanks!!
Isabel

11/27/2007 3:45 AM  
Blogger letra errante said...

Gracias por responder a mis preguntas, Geninne. Ya conseguí las gomas y sólo falta que arranquen las vacaciones para comenzar a crear mis sellos.
Que tengas felices y luminosas fiestas.

Elsa

11/29/2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa M. M. M. said...

This is amazing. I LOVE your work!!! I hope it's okay that I put a link directing people to your tutorial. I did one a while back, but yours is a work of art! :0) Mel

12/12/2007 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Marta said...

Thanks for the grat tutorial, just found your blog, I'll be coming back, your work is amazing.

2/24/2008 8:19 AM  
Blogger Claudia Atencio said...

Hola Geninne! muy bueno y útil el tutorial!! gracias por compartir la info!.
Dejáme decirte que realmente admiro tu trabajo, sos muy creativa y me encantan las ilustraciones.
Son de gran inspiración.
Saludos desde Argentina.

2/25/2008 1:08 PM  
Blogger Tizzalicious said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I always wanted to know how to do this!

2/29/2008 5:18 AM  
Blogger Veda Murthy said...

Brilliant tutorial!!!!!!

6/01/2008 1:11 AM  
Blogger HappySquirrel said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have been looking for something like this for ages, so I was really happy when I found it. Thanks, thanks, thanks. It is extremely helpful

9/18/2008 10:21 AM  
Blogger Valérie et Geneviève Beaulieu said...

Thank you so much to share this! Realy cool and well done!

9/19/2008 5:25 AM  
Blogger CornishScotts said...

Gennine, do you know about letterboxing? http://www.atlasquest.com Seems like a perfect fit for someone who likes to make stamps! :-) I love letterboxing but am better at solving clues than carving my own stamps... hopefully your tutorial will help me to improve my skills.

2/13/2009 6:24 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Tristemente no soy muy artistica. Mirando tu blog y tu maravillosa tienda extraño mis dias universitarios cuando me creía creativa y pintaba bosques en acuarela.

Pero tengo dos hijas ahora que saltaron de alegría al ver este tutorial de sellos.

Quise dejarte una nota para agradecértelo

Recibe un beso desde la nieve de Montreal.

2/18/2009 6:21 AM  
Blogger Jennifer DeDonato said...

wonderful...thanks I have been wanting to do this for some time.

3/04/2009 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Angelique said...

I just found your website. You are so wonderful in your generosity to share the process. I've been wanting to learn how to carve stamps of my own drawings, and this tutorial is going to help me do that! Thank you!

7/02/2009 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Ebi Atawodi said...

This is great! I use the exact same tools. I notice though that you draw straight unto the blocks? I tend to draw unto tracing paper using a 2b pencil and then rub the tracing paper unto my block and then carve that so that I get the image stamped the same way :) I think alot of people do this actually lol.

7/18/2009 3:37 PM  
Blogger 可可 said...

成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,ut聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,18成人,成人網站,成人影片,ut聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,a片,微風成人,a片,A片,成人影城,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,A片,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,微風成人區,a片,成人網站,18成人,微風成人,ut聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,ut聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,a片,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,成人影城,a片,A片,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,微風成人,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,微風成人,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,成人網站,成人影片,微風成人,聊天室,ut聊天室,a片,A片,成人影城,a片

9/10/2009 9:34 AM  
Blogger kathleen said...

Thanks for all the inspiration! You cannot believe how CRAZY I've gone over carving my own stamps, since I found your blog with such great tutorials. WOW - you are so creative - and I love what you do. Many thanks!

11/15/2009 7:13 PM  
Blogger sa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

12/27/2009 6:08 AM  
Blogger Casi said...

You've definitely inspired me to start working on art again, and start making stamps. Thank you for your wonderful blog and tutorial. :)

1/10/2010 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One accessory that many pandora beads women consider a necessity is a handbag.

8/18/2010 8:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy Barinholtz, Graciewear said...

Great presentation, clean, clear, and lovely to view. I admire the simplicity of what you are teaching, even though I think it's harder than you make it look. Really enjoyed it.

8/20/2010 1:11 PM  
Blogger cuvee perdiu said...

TI ADORO, sei una grande, ci proverò anchio grazie delle belle idee!!

9/22/2010 2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!
I learned so much and can't wait to go do my own!
Jane

2/07/2011 8:01 PM  
Blogger Arch. Sara said...

Thanks for this! It's so informative and your blog is very, very inpsiring. I bought my supplies this weekend and I made my first two stamps! :) Here's my blog post about it http://angcraftista.arkiteksara.com/?p=151

2/27/2011 5:27 AM  
Blogger clara said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I am looking forward to trying this out soon. :)

4/18/2011 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Tara said...

I have always wanted to make a stamp... we have just gotten into letterboxing.
This is a great tutorial.

8/22/2011 9:07 AM  
Blogger Catalina Canizales said...

Hola Geninne! Está hermoso tu blog y ni hablar de los tutoriales! Quisiera preguntarte en dónde consigues los bloques staedtler? Saludos!

5/30/2012 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Samantha said...

I tried carving some Staedtler erasers.. but the surface is not totally flat. Their logo (trojan head?) is embossed. So when I carved my image, it had little lines going through it that was from the original eraser. How do you get around that? The head is embossed all over the eraser front and back.

11/25/2012 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just bought your stamping book which I love! I have a few questions on technique: is there a tip for making clean small circles? I've used pencil tip for small holes, but it's hard to get a clean, slightly larger hole with the linoleum cutter. Also, do you ever use a utility knife for making clean edges on small, intricate designs?

12/28/2012 6:03 PM  
Blogger Paru Mahtani said...

Hi Geninne! I have been following your blog for a while now and you nver scease to amaze me with your talent!
I finally got around to trying out the handcarved feather stamp..here is my blogpost about it. I have linked it back to your blog.
Thanks for inspiring me!
Regards...

4/08/2014 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home