Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bird on the wall

Bird on the wall
Mantis
Another fantastic creature came to visit this morning.
This time it was on the outside of our bedroom window.
It was around 3 inches from head to tail! So, so cool!
Today I've finally started to paint the bird on the wall.
I had to prime the birdie outline with acrylic gesso first to smooth out the surface
and fill in all the tiny cracks and crevices of the concrete.
I'm going to use Windsor & Newton oils to paint it later today.
Please come by tomorrow to see the progress.

*This one's for you Laura Dodson ;)

16 Lovely Comments:

Blogger huntressofnostalgia said...

It looks lovely! I really like the bell jar's over your little Succulents!

10/21/2010 12:56 PM  
Blogger Maaike said...

Another icky creature! I would be so glad it was outside, so at least there was a nice and thick piece of glass between me and it...

It is gorgeous though...

If you're ever in Holland, could you come and paint birds on my wall too? :-D

10/21/2010 1:25 PM  
Blogger APO (Bem-Trapilho) said...

beautiful bug!

10/21/2010 3:09 PM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

you can paint anything you want on my walls geninne

10/21/2010 4:30 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

This is a male mantis. The one you took pictures and video of the other day was a female. In case anyone is interested.

And I'd still love to see you paint a mantis. On a rock. On paper. Anywhere.

10/21/2010 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

I am so in love with your home. Can't wait to see the finished bird.

10/21/2010 5:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer DeDonato said...

How fun to see this out the window...my son would be so excited. Who will visit next?

10/21/2010 6:18 PM  
Blogger Jo Anne Neely Gomez said...

Lovely and I like the effect of the cage below somewhat making me think the bird has "escaped" the confines of the cage to flitter about on the wind.

10/21/2010 8:01 PM  
Blogger dls said...

What a wonderful visitor!

Looking forward to seeing the finished birdie.

10/21/2010 8:24 PM  
OpenID lcroswell said...

What a lovely mantis. I'm always excited to find these in the garden since they eat pesky bugs and they are fascinating to watch. This one has such dramatic coloring. Thanks for sharing.

10/21/2010 8:27 PM  
Blogger Dajda said...

Alien invasion! :)

10/22/2010 2:16 AM  
Anonymous Himiko said...

My dear, the insects over at your place seem rather alien in comparison to those living over here! Luckily....

10/22/2010 5:07 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

I can't wait to see the finished bird on the wall. I'm curious, Geninne, why did you choose oil paints instead of acrylics? Won't the oil from the paint seep into the concrete?

10/22/2010 7:37 AM  
Blogger Lindis said...

Hi!

I discovered your blog when I was searching for art blogs on google! I LOVE your blog :-) Fell in love with your header(is that the correct word?).
It´s so beautiful!
I am following your blog, of course.

Warm Wishes from Norway,
Lindis

PS. I have my own blog to, but it´s in norwegian ;-)
But take a look if you want;
http://minlillehule-lindis.blogspot.com

10/22/2010 12:04 PM  
Blogger buttercup caren said...

You get the best creature visitors!
I hope I get something equally fantastical make a stop outside my window someday. :)

10/22/2010 10:32 PM  
Blogger Snappy Di said...

The mantis is sooooo handsome. Love the birdcage by the way.

Di

10/23/2010 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home