Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

The Sketchbook Project: 2011
Last month my lovely reader Lisa from Australia sent me the link to this wonderful project thinking I might like to participate...and I did! Thanks Lisa!
Read more about the project here and think about joining too!
The Sketchbook Project: 2011
The blank Moleskine arrived at my door this week!
I had some time yesterday to personalize the cover before I break it in.
Blank Moleskine
I glued these pretty marbleized end papers and a butterfly bookplate
that my friend Sofia sent me from New Zealand.
Marbleized end papers
I chose "In Flight" from a long list of available themes to work with...obviously ;)
I have to send back my completed sketchbook by January 2011
and I'll be sharing the process with you. I hope you decide to participate too!
Sketchbook
The completeted sketchbook will be living at the Brooklyn Art Gallery where it will be barcoded & available for the public to view. So if you live in NY you be able to check out my Sketchbook and take it home to view for a few days :)
And the cool thing is that I'll be able to know who checks out the sketchbook!
Fun, fun, fun!

*Molly Amanda: So funny you mentioned it this morning!
I was writing this post when I read your blog comment.

56 Lovely Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

What a lovely idea, I wish I lived in NY to view yours.

7/22/2010 7:51 AM  
Blogger SH said...

Cool idea but a little intimidating. I showed my sketch book to my boyfriend's mom a couple months back when I was visiting them. It felt really awkward for me considering I have tonnes of raw and uncensored ideas.
That reminds me. I desperately need a new sketch book.

You are brave. Have fun!

7/22/2010 7:59 AM  
Blogger Jutta said...

They had just the perfect theme for you! :)

I'm taking part in it too, I got my sketchbook a week ago with the theme storybook. But I have no idea what to do with it yet!

7/22/2010 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Dianne said...

Oh amazing, I am going to order my sketchbook tomorrow for this when I have been paid! So exciting - did you opt to be able to view yours online as well? xx

7/22/2010 8:07 AM  
Blogger rossichka said...

What a lovely idea! Inspiring and challenging... I'm sorry I'm not an artist to take part in the project:(! But I could try and make my own sketchbook, just for fun... Good luck!

7/22/2010 8:11 AM  
Blogger Heather T. said...

I wish I could see all the pages, then live in new york so i could actually hold it in my little hands... =) I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

7/22/2010 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful idea!! I am in NY!!! Yeah!!!

7/22/2010 9:29 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Gosh, the check-out idea is a brave one. I don't know how I'd feel about letting original art---and not just mine---go out the door ... of a gallery. But I guess they KNOW what they're doing, eh? Keep us posted every step of the way ... I can't wait to see what you & the others involved come up with.

7/22/2010 9:34 AM  
Blogger whiteoctopus said...

I am also participating in the Sketchbook Project with the theme In Flight! :) Still waiting for mine in the mail though... but I am very excited! Can't wait to see the progression of your sketchbook!

7/22/2010 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Maria Apostolou said...

It's so great that you decided to participate! I can't wait to read the updates. I 've read about this project a few weeks ago, now I'm tempted to try it too!

7/22/2010 9:52 AM  
Blogger Megan V said...

Oh I am so excited to find out about this!!! It is such a brilliant project and I really want to participate, too! I am having a hard time chosing a theme. I need to pick one that doesn't feel limiting, you know? Although... I can draw whatever I want in it anyway since there is no one to say otherwise! :D xo
I'm also unsure of whether to pay to have it digitized. I don't know if that feels worth it to me... hmm..

7/22/2010 10:09 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

This is such a cool idea, thanks for sharing, Geninne! I think I´m going to join in the fun too.

7/22/2010 10:31 AM  
Blogger kim said...

I was wondering if (and hoping) you had signed up! My empty sketchbook is sitting on my desk waiting for me to overcome intimidation. I can't wait to see your finished product! I think the project is touring a few cities besides NYC, right?

7/22/2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger emgower said...

I just signed up!!! My theme is "And then there were none." Kind of nervous (really nervous,) but looking forward to the challenge. Yikes!!!!

7/22/2010 11:05 AM  
Anonymous anika said...

your blog post is now the 3rd time i've heard about this project. maybe it's a sign that i should participate too?

looking forward to seeing the progression of your book!

7/22/2010 11:33 AM  
Blogger Dolores said...

I hope we get a few peaks of the journal on your blog.

7/22/2010 11:46 AM  
Blogger Poorvi said...

Wow..sounds like such a neat idea! I will keep Brooklyn Art Gallery in mind..

7/22/2010 12:10 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Anthony said...

I love this project I actually just completed mine. I am so looking forward to following your progress for this. I think it's the coolest project ever!!

7/22/2010 12:10 PM  
Blogger Heleen said...

Love your ideas!

7/22/2010 12:21 PM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

I think i might just have to travel to Brooklyn just so I can check your sketchbook out for a few days.

7/22/2010 1:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, what a fun project! I look forward to seeing your sketchbook progress, it already looks lovely :)

7/22/2010 1:40 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Wow - what a fun project!
I'm thinking of doing it too.
It did say anyone could do it... I might be an artist in hiding, but it is probably time to stop thinking about it and just do it already!
Thanks for sharing.

7/22/2010 1:49 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/22/2010 1:49 PM  
Anonymous elaine said...

I just got mine in the mail as well!!! Hoping to document mine on my blog too...

My theme is "Below the Surface...."
Such and aweome project

7/22/2010 1:52 PM  
Blogger Cindy Pestka said...

I signed up as "A Scavenger" and got mine a few weeks ago. I've decided to spend the summer collecting bits and bobs (tossing them into a pretty box) and will sort through everything and actually start creating my sketchbook in the fall. I love having a REASON to pick up random tidbits that catch my eye. And one of the stops will be in Seattle, so it's like my sketchbook will get to play to its hometown!

7/22/2010 1:55 PM  
Blogger **EYE-SNACKS** said...

It's a lovely idea from your friend. It's suits you..and you picked a lovely theme!

7/22/2010 2:08 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Thank you for posting this :) I'm inspired to participate as well!

7/22/2010 2:17 PM  
Blogger lj said...

I got mine too, so exciting!!

7/22/2010 2:35 PM  
Blogger kt_kthx said...

Awesome! I got mine in the mail last Thursday, I chose "This is not a Sketchbook" theme, because I'll probably be embroidering the pages instead of drawing/painting!

I'm excited to see what you do with yours, I'll share mine when I put a little more into it!

What a fun project huh?

7/22/2010 2:36 PM  
Anonymous rebecca said...

i've been pondering over joining myself. they will also be on tour- one stop in my home town!!! i just might join because of that too...

7/22/2010 3:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs Soup said...

I've been debating on doing this too...but I think it's too intimidating for me just yet. I've just recently gotten back into doodling and feel very self conscious still. Maybe next years....

7/22/2010 4:47 PM  
Blogger Ana Veiga said...

Hello Geninne, what a coincidence, your post of The Sketchbook Project. I was planning to make an artistic journal. So, as you, I ordered mine. By the way, I love your job. Tks Ana Veiga

7/22/2010 5:36 PM  
Blogger Veda Murthy said...

cant wait to participate...thanks for the link! and absolutely eager 2 c ur work! did u buy the digitzed version too?...

veda

7/22/2010 11:57 PM  
Blogger fabrik-BILDschön said...

what a amazing idea!

greetings from germany
mnh

7/23/2010 1:30 AM  
Anonymous The Muse of The Day said...

I have heard about this project before, you are perfect for it.

7/23/2010 5:57 AM  
OpenID paintingtheword.com said...

I'm participating too and just finished my cover - I still have to sew it all back together because I changed the paper out for watercolor paper so I have to rebind it. I'll be posting pictures too! Fun stuff!! My theme is inside/outside.

7/23/2010 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

I love your blog! After reading about the Sketchbook Project I decided to sign up myself! Just waiting for my sketchbook to arrive....really excited but so nervous! I never show my sketchbooks so this will take some getting used to

7/23/2010 7:50 AM  
Blogger Holly Knitlightly said...

I love the idea of this so much! I'm still not sure if I should sign up or not. I think I would have a hard time filling it!
I do wish I lived in NYC or close to, so I could view this! :) Maybe I'll have to take a trip there next year to check them out!

7/23/2010 11:38 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

I've been looking at this project for awhile (as well as previous arthouse projects) and now i am jumping on your bandwagon...i just ordered a red cahier with the theme "if you lived here..." thanks for inspiring as you often do.

7/23/2010 4:59 PM  
Blogger Indy said...

wow, so funny, I've had that site opened on one of my tabs since last week and have been trying to decide whether I had the guts to participate - sounds like fun though. I'm pretty sure your sketchbook will be gorgeous! :)

7/23/2010 5:45 PM  
Blogger emaxian said...

I have to give you a big thank you because I found the Sketchbook project through you and your awesome art blog. I'm going to do it too! Most likely with the sleepless theme because I'm something of an insomniac.

7/23/2010 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Kristy said...

I am so excited you are also playing alone. I am doing the sketchbook project as well, but I chose the theme, ... I'm a Scavenger.

Look forward to watching as your book begins to fill up.

7/24/2010 2:24 PM  
OpenID satsumaart said...

So intriguing and fun! I think I will do the project too. Thank you for sharing the info and your de-flight-ful sketchbook!

7/24/2010 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Gilding Lilies said...

I am so in, thanks for telling us about this. I'll look forward to seeing more glimpses of your sketchbook. How fun!

7/25/2010 11:46 AM  
Blogger joyflea said...

I have just signed up! I have never considered myself an artist, but I do see myself as artistic, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and give it a go.
Thanks for the link and for your very inspirational blog.

7/26/2010 4:57 PM  
Blogger competitivemum said...

so cool i just signed up too. My theme is 'if you lived here' as I'm born and bred in London England. I am not an artist in the way that you are but i think i can have fun and be artistic with this book. Have fun everyone!

7/27/2010 2:17 AM  
Anonymous Belinda said...

Hi Gennine,

congrats for your blog! Your work is super nice!

By the way, thanks for sharing this resource with us, I just hit the Participate button and I can't wait the sketchbook to arrive home!!

Saludos,
Belinda

7/28/2010 4:51 AM  
Blogger Alessandra said...

Thank you, Geninne for this information!!! I'll partecipate! Ciao from Italy

7/28/2010 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne from Santa Cruz, CA said...

Hola, Geninne- thanks to you and Lisa from Australia for sharing about The Sketchbook Project. It is just what I need to help me jump back into my art work. And many thanks for your always lovely and inspiring blog. You are a bright light in a sometimes dark world. xxx - and best of luck with the move!

7/29/2010 12:07 AM  
Blogger Cari-Jane Hakes said...

i'm signed up too - as a result of reading your blog. My theme is 'Nighttime Stories' - thank you for the heads up. I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing what you get up to in your book. Good Luck for the move and looking forward to seeing your lovely new home.

7/31/2010 11:27 PM  
Anonymous nicole@lebenskuenstler said...

i've just signed up after reading about it on your blog. can't wait to get the sketch book! i've chosen 'a day in the life...'
your blog is so inspiring, geninne. i love your art work! winter greetings from oz, nicole.

8/02/2010 4:26 AM  
Blogger Quimvaa said...

I've been searching for people who are going to do this as well! I am so excited to get mine, and I shall be looking forward to your updates! And I followed you as well, woo. (:

I chose the topic of Help! And your's looks brilliant so far!

8/07/2010 11:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I participated last year and my theme was "Elephant in the Room." Completing the sketchbook was so gratifying. I did a lot of mixed media work in mine -- collaging, layers of paint and paper etc. Good luck on yours. I'm sure it will be beautiful! I look forward to seeing posts with pictures of your progress.

8/09/2010 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Tanya said...

ooooh. i love your cover- so simple! I have tape on the spine of mine as well- but I stopped with the cover and I am working on the inside pages. looking forward to seeing your progress. I have subscribed to your blog- found you thru Meylah blog.

8/10/2010 6:48 PM  
Blogger **We BLOG ARTISTS** said...

I JUST signed up today...
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Can't wait to travel 10.5 hours to see everyone's books!!!
SO excited.
I chose "The Greatest Story EVER told!`
VERY excited!!!
HUGS
Char.x

8/20/2010 12:33 PM  
Blogger Mmm said...

Yes, i've read about this. Sounds incredible. I would just be hesitant that I might fill some pages with so-so art or ones that didn't work out at all where I scratched out the entire drawing! what do you do then?

8/22/2010 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home